Ballot by Mail
Ballot By Mail
Who can vote by mail?
You are eligible to vote early by mail if you are a registered voter who is:
- 65 years of age or older
- Out of the county during the entire election period
- Sick or disabled
- Confined in jail, but eligible to vote
How do I get a ballot?
To vote by mail, you must first apply for a ballot. The Travis County Clerk’s office does not send out applications or ballots without a specific request from the voter.
We must receive your application no earlier than 60 days before election day and no later than the close of business 7 days before election day. If the deadline falls on a weekend, the last day to submit an application is the preceding Friday. If the deadline falls on a state or federal holiday, the ballot application must be received on the preceding business day.
Mail your application for a ballot to:
Travis County Early Voting Clerk,
PO Box 149325, Austin TX 78714-9325
If you choose to use a contract carrier, applications can be delivered to:
5501 Airport Boulevard.,
Austin TX 78751-1410
You may fax your application to: (512) 854-3969. We can accept an application in person directly from the individual voter only before early voting begins.
Where do I get an application?
NOTE: These files require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print. The reader can be downloaded free from Adobe.
Filling out the application
You do not have to use a formal application; however, an informal application must be in writing and include:
- Your signature (or a witness’ signature if you cannot sign);
- Your name and the address at which you are registered to vote;
- The address to which the ballot is to be mailed;
- The election date and for which election you are requesting a ballot (for a primary election, you must state the political party’s primary in which you wish to vote); and,
- A reason why you are eligible to vote early by mail (to be eligible to vote early due to a planned absence from the county, your application must state an address out-of-county to have your ballot mailed).
How soon must I return the ballot?
We must receive your marked ballot by 7:00 pm on election day! If you are mailing your ballot from outside the United States, we must receive your ballot by the fifth day after election day.
How do I get more information?
For more information on ballot by mail and FPCAs, call us at (512) 238-VOTE (238-8683 a 24-hour automated voice-response system), fax us at (512) 854-3969, email us, or write us at: Elections Division, Travis County Clerk, PO Box 149325, Austin, TX 78714-9325